Ways to Make Meetings and Events Healthier
Don’t go without, just go with healthy choices
Employees appreciate it when they’re treated to food or snacks for meetings or special gatherings. By offering healthy choices, you’re doing them a favor. Here are some tips to help you plan your next work gathering which have been adapted from the WellMe Challenges available through Health Services to Business.
- If the meeting includes snack breaks, put out flavored water, fruit and other healthy foods
- Make the lunch a salad bar or work with your caterer to come up with nutritious options
- Encourage stretching or short, brisk walks during breaks
- Offer a physical challenge during longer breaks (volleyball, anyone?)
- Make sure your vending machines are stocked with healthy choices
- If practical, choose a venue that’s a short walk from your main office
WellMe Challenges are 12 pre-packaged challenges that promote health and wellness, in addition to a little friendly competition. They were created and tested by Mayo Clinic wellness experts to promote healthy habits for life. Challenges are available online and can be downloaded at any time. Challenges range from eating better and moving more to finding happiness and reducing stress. Materials include posters, signup sheets, trackers, health information and guides to online resources. Find out more here.